Weight management PCOS and or fertility programme
Who is this for?
• Women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) experiencing difficulty losing weight
• Over or under-weight women experiencing delay in achieving a pregnancy
• Women who want to achieve weight and lifestyle improvement before trying for a baby
• Men who have modifiable risk factors with diet and weight.
What does the clinical evidence say?
Many large studies across the world have shown that overweight women who were able to lose weight before getting pregnant significantly improved both their fertility treatments and pregnancy outcomes. This is why international guidelines have recommended that weight loss should be the first line treatment for obese women before undergoing fertility treatment or planning a family.
How can a weight management programme help you?
There is no one size fits all regimes for losing weight, nor there is one specific fertility diet. Furthermore, overweight women with conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome can find weight loss particularly difficult.
All of the recent evidence has indicated that crash diet/exercise regimes tend not to work and can even cause harm, in other words, weight management does not mean starving yourself!
The best approach is to have a sensible and achievable long term plan to reduce weight and keep it off.
The aims the weight management fertility programme we offer are:
• To achieve a realistic goal. We therefore focus on a 5-10% body weight loss over 4-6 months as this has been shown to improve fertility treatment outcomes.
• To achieve sustainable weight loss – not just short-term gain
• To provide a personalised dietary and exercise programme with appropriate psychological support – this has been shown to be the most effective way to achieve sustainable weight loss as well as improving quality of life – helping you to feel good about yourself
• To empower you to help you feel more in control with everyday life so that you can avoid returning to unhealthy lifestyle behaviours.
We Haven’t forgotten the men in your lives….
Men can contribute to infertility issues also.
- 30% of men are infertile due to multiple factors, medical and environmental.
- Alcohol, smoking, being overweight and poor diet are factors that can be modified.
Our programmes allow for both or either partner to be treated for infertility.
How does it work?
You will meet a specialist dietitian throughout a period of 6 months….
Prior to an appointment you will be asked to complete a 121 Dietitian – 7 Day Food Diary and 121-Dietitian-Questionnaire. These will be assessed by Gillian Killiner RD, specialist Dietitian, and an appointment will be arranged to discuss the findings and begin the best nutritional programme bespoke to you. This can be online using zoom or at clinic.
Week 1 – At this initial appointment Gillian will include nutritional information, motivation and lifestyle changes. A nutritional programme, recipes and shopping list will be written up for you to follow with SMART goals. Nutritional optimisation is the goal and this will include assessment of gut health/mental health/bloods and corrected with diet and supplements as required.
Week 4 – at this dietetic review Gillian will reassess the recommendations and assist you with setting further achievable goals. If you are wishing for a reduction in weight you will be aiming for 1kg/2lb weight loss as a steady and manageable reduction each week.
Week 12 – Review with Gillian – you will be asked to forward a new food diary prior to this, the appointment is online/phone call &/or email.
Week 22 – Final appointment with Gillian – reassessment of weight and medical and general health parameters in conjunction with your fertility team.
Partners together weight management fertility package £700
Either Partner weight management fertility Individual programme £450
PCOS weight management programme £ 450
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07717392306