We recently celebrated my birthday & my daughter Laura very kindly baked a delicious chocolate cake. As the recipe is for a Gluten free dairy free chocolate cake, it means our entire family can enjoy it. Knowing how hard it can be to get a good recipe for a dairy free, gluten free chocolate cake, Laura wanted to share this tried & tested recipe with you. We hope you like it as much as we did.
Ingredients for Gluten free dairy free chocolate cake
- 75g cocoa powder
- 137ml boiling water
- 150g softened butter (Dairy free)
- 400g caster sugar
- 262g self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 187ml almond milk
For the icing
- 150g dark chocolate
- 250g butter (dairy free)
- 250g icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
Method for making Gluten free dairy free chocolate cake
- Pre-heat oven to 170°c
- Grease 2 round baking tins
- Sift cocoa into a large bowl. Add boiling water and butter, mix until smooth
- Pour in the caster sugar, self raising flour, baking powder & xanthan gum
- Mix the eggs & milk into the dry items, making a smooth batter
- Pour into cake tins
- Bake for approximately 40 mins
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- While your cake is cooking prepare the icing – begin by putting chocolate into bowl over a pan of boiling water to melt
- In a large bowl, place butter and icing sugar and mix well until combined
- Add melted chocolate and mix
- Once cake is cooled, spread between layers, top as desired and enjoy
If you are unsure of how to change your eating habits, or need help optimising the foods you eat please do contact us. We would love to help you or your family and friends with any nutrition related queries big or small.
In the meantime do please check out our 121Dietitian Shop
If you have enjoyed this blog we would love you to share this with your family and friends on your social media channels.
Why not visit our YouTube Channel for more on keeping your health optimal.
How can a Dietitian help with healthy Gluten and Dairy free foods
- Book a consultation via our Online Portal
- About Gillian Killiner
- Check out our tailored dietary programmes
Information checked & correct on 16th May 2018 and 1st January 2023.
Links included in this description might be Amazon affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission.